// October 31st, 2007

A Headmaster’s Tale
Of cephalopods, midnight duels, and dire Halloween curses..

Direct Download the entire episode 55 MB (1:54:48)

Hosts: Rachael, Wendy, Gina
- Snapey Halloween
- Why didn’t Dumbledore’s own experience with love make him more sympathetic to Snape
- Snape’s gaydar

News for the second half of October.(Send your news to snapenews@gmail.com)
- Dumbledore bombshell temporarily overshadows all things Snape.
- Creative and Snapefen still actively Snape-ing: Check out Snape After DH and the Snarry Games.
- Snape may (or may not) be dead, but there’s still plenty of meta for everyone: Why Snape Joined the DE; Snape’s Boggart; Snape-inspired playlist.
- Alec Hopkins, also known as “Young Snape” has been rather busy on You-Tube.
- Snape seen masquerading as a muggle in Australia.

What If… – (19:33)
Panel: Rachael, Becca, Shannon, Rose
- What if things had been different for Snape. . .

PSA: Bathouses – (44:24)
- Stock your Snapecast safehouse.

Fan Interview – (46:10)
Interviewer: Becca
Guest: Ariadne (Writer and Theorist)
- At the Online Wizarding Library
- At Fanfiction.net
- Border’s Great Snape Debate

A Call to Listeners – (1:01:39)
Send in your questions for Snape.
- Deadline: Midnight EST, Friday, November 23rd.
-Format: .wav, .ogg, .mp3 formats accepted, or leave a voicemail on our Skype account (username snapecast)

Snarky Chapters – (1:04:54)
Panel: Rachael, Jeff, Rose, Shannon
Deathly Hallows
- Chapter 32: The Elder Wand

The Final Run of the Snapecast Express – (1:21:21)
- To reserve a seat, send an owl to severus@snapecast.com or leave a message on Podcastalley.
- Be sure to include your name, your house, and your seating preference.

Deathly Owlpost – (1:23:17)
Panel: Shannon, Rachael, Wendy, Gina
- What did Slughorn know about Snape’s feelings for Lily?
- What’s with all these childhood sweetheart storylines anyway?
- In which we explore a little Snucius.
- Howlers and e-mail from the Muggle world.

Hosts: Rachael, Wendy, Gina
- Revisiting Jo’s most recent comments about Snape’s character and Snape’s portrait.
- See you on December 1st for Episode 25, our penultimate episode!

A Headmaster’s Tale – (1:45:44)
Narrator: Rose
Voices: Jeff, Meagan, Shannon, Chris, Wendy, Gina
- Of cephalopods, midnight duels, and dire Halloween curses.

What If…
- Smashing Pumpkins, “Apples+Oranjes”
PSA
- Danny Elfman, Corpse Bride: 07-Moon Dance
-Janine Johnson, Chopin Recital: 12-Valse Brilliante Op.18 in Eb major
A Call to Listeners
John Williams, Harry Potter and the Prizoner of Azkaban:
A Headmaster’s Tale
- John Williams, Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets: 08-The Dueling Club
- Johann Sebastian Bach: Toccata and Fugue in D Minor, BWV 565
- Gaylord Carter, “Grim Grinning Ghosts” [Disneyland's Haunted Mansion]
- Danny Elfman, Nightmare Before Christmas: 20-End Title
- Danny Elfman, Nightmare Before Christmas: 01-Overture

1. On October 31st, 2007 Selina said:

Oooh it’s always such a joy to wait for then new snapecast Episode while it’s downloading. I can’t wait to listen.

Happy Halloween everyone!

^__________^

2. On October 31st, 2007 Melissa said:

Yay!! It’s even up a bit early. This just made my day!

I’m listening now!

3. On October 31st, 2007 Iggy said:

If I have to hear the word “obsession” one more time, heads will roll! >:3

“A Headmaster’s Tale” was brilliant. I can’t wait for the transcript! ^^

4. On November 1st, 2007 Sarah said:

Oh, no! You can
    t abandon your posts!! :(

5. On November 1st, 2007 Selina said:

A Headmaster
    s Tale was TERRIFIC! OMG I loved it!!!

OMG what a wonderful Episode! You really cheered me up and renewed my Snape fandom ^___^

And yes, SNAPE LIVES – no matter what XD XD

But….

“The Final Run of the Snapecast Express”

..eh?

Snapecast is CLOSING DOWN January 9th…………..?!?!

But….

but….

…what am I to do with the rest of my life…….?

*bursts crying*

6. On November 1st, 2007 Melissa said:

What’s this Snapecast Express shutting down business??

Are you trying to say that Snapecast is done? On Sev’s birthday? WHAT?!?

7. On November 2nd, 2007 Susan said:

I am wondering the same thing…is Snapecast leaving us after Jan. 9? SAY IT ISN’T SO!!! PLEASE!!!! If it is true, I will be the crazy fan curled up in the fetal position, humiliating herself without the hope of the Potions Master pulling her out of the nightmare.

8. On November 3rd, 2007 Gordania said:

great episode and even a day earlier than i was expecting!
    but snapecast isn’t actually ending is it?

9. On November 4th, 2007 xandra said:

Guys, you outdid yourselves on the Headmaster’s Tale, pure brilliance! Thanks for your work :)

10. On November 5th, 2007 Rebecca Webb said:

Don’t you imagine they’re simply going on hiatus to plan their Snape conference?

11. On November 5th, 2007 Erin said:

Well, it couldn’t go on forever no matter how much I wish it could. It was a great run and I’ll look forward even more to December first and January ninth. Great show guys.

12. On November 6th, 2007 Susan said:

I will miss the show so much! I know everyone is busy (totally understand about that considering I really should be studying right now). However, will Snapecast have a presence at Accio 2008?? If so, maybe a show could come out of that…at least a short one! In any case, I will tell you guys that the show has been awesome and of higher quality than other podcasts. Good work!

13. On November 6th, 2007 Delma said:

Hi, Guys,

I have loved your show since the first episode and have generally found that even if I did not agree with a particular opinion I could see a rational for that particular stance. But, one thing I do not get is all is the negativity toward Lily. Since when did “pretty” equate with “shallow”? She risked her life – and her child’s for the Order. She gave her life for Harry. She stuck by Severus and defended him against the popular kids – not an easy thing for a 15 year old. These are not the actions of a shallow person. Yes, she asked him about Hogwarts – that is normal behavior and I don’t see how this could be characterized as “using him.”

Thank you for many hours of enjoyment – Snapecast is the Harry Potter podcast with the highest production value bar none.

14. On November 8th, 2007 Maria said:

No! Snapecast cannot end!!! Where can I turn to feed my Snape obsession? Pottercast? Bah! All they talk about is the movies on that podcast. Mugglenet? A better choice, but they’re not all Snape, all the time.

I’ve been a listener since your first podcast, and I have looked forward every month to spending my precious couple of hours listening to you all talk about the single most interesting character in J.K. Rowling’s series. Such a complex character deserves continuing attention, don’t you think?

I sure do.

15. On November 9th, 2007 QB said:

I am very sad to see you go; Snapecast, apart from being wonderfully Snapey, is just so much more fun than other Potterverse podcasts. Alas, woe is me; what will I do with my life now?

16. On November 13th, 2007 Tori said:

I really feel I have to speak up in defense of Dumbledore. Dumbledore was a bit of a schemer, but he wasn’t quite as bad as he’s been painted. He tells Snape that “you alone know whether it will harm your soul to help an old man avoid pain and humiliation.” And I think the answer is that it really won’t harm Snape’s soul. What he’s doing is an act of mercy when he kills Dumbledore. Had he allowed Draco to kill Dumbledore, Draco’s soul would be damaged because his intent was to get rid of Dumbledore. Snape knew the truth, that Dumbledore was dying already, and that he wanted to make sure that Voldemort (through the potion) wasn’t responsible for his death.
    And in The Prince’s Tale, when Dumbledore asks Snape, “After all this time?” he’s crying because he *does* know what Snape is going through and he had wished better for Snape. He had hoped that Snape could have moved on from Lily as he had not done with Grindelwald.

I know this comment is way too long already, but speaking of Lily, she did try to help him for years…we saw her trying to convince him that his Death Eater friends were no good, but he ignored her words. It’s like Lily was Jewish and Snape was signing up with the Nazi party. At some point, enough has to be enough.

17. On November 17th, 2007 Sumiko Tanaka said:

I would like to throw in some random thoughts that came to me while listening to the ‘Snape Report’ segment.

Even if Dumbledore was rather overpowering to Snape he could have been solely driven with the absolute and ultimate belief that nothing is stronger than love. Dumbledore could have been very irritated with Snape for not listening to Lily when she expressed her feelings about Snape’s Death Eater friends (though it is not stated DD knew this he could have known through occlumency or Snape’s school days). And DD could have remained this way because he was still irritated but helped Snape anyway inorder to make sure Snape would learn a lesson or two about love.

Or (from a completely different point of view), DD could have felt that Snape’s oppressive history helped shape Snape into (the hole in the window, jk) the man that he had become. Doing anything for Snape through any other method could possibly not have the some impression on Snape.

Or, just simply, in order to be certain that Potter stayed safe (because Dumbledore knew this and that and what the future dangers may be) DD had to be very authoritative to Snape to ensure he was very closely knit to the doubleagent task of saving Potter’s skin.

18. On February 9th, 2009 sor_bet said:

A Headmaster’s Tale: AWESOME!

The rhyming! The story! The voices! And most of all, Albus Severus, the Slytherin, and Scopius Malfoy, the Gryffindor!!! (Okay, possibly a Ravenclaw, but I like the most ironic possibility the best. :-D)

All completely AWESOME!!!

19. On November 22nd, 2011 Wokanshutaiduo said:

I’ve noticed that people have defended Dumbledore citing what he says about whether saving him from Bellatrix/Fenrir would damage his soul. In my opinion, Dumbledore should have accepted some pain/humiliation during his death, rather than risk another person’s soul.
    I definitely subscribe to the ‘not liking Dumbledore anymore’ group… the way he capitalised on Severus’s grief after Halloween of ’81, making him promise to murder him (if you consider the timeline carefully, this was before the unbreakable vow was made), his callousness overall when dealing with Severus (I’m one of the ones that reads negatively into his comment about sorting to soon).
    But actually I was annoyed with a lot of Dumbledore’s treatment of Slytheins even before Deathly Hallows. I always thought the way he awarded points at the leaving feast in book 1 was very cruel, and I can’t get over how he ordered the prefects to take their houses back to their dorms with the troll, when at the time they thought the troll was in the dungeons. And of course how he let Sirius get away with almost killing/permanently maiming Severus in their fifth year.
    I also don’t like Lily’s treatment of Severus – although, you have mentioned that we don’t really know how much she put up with before snapping. Maybe I’ve just read too many Snily fanfics where Lily is not much of a friend…
    But hey, this is Snapecast not Albuscast. Am still loving your podcast, despite having a marathon run through your episodes over the last week and a half (yeah I’m pretty late in realising that there was a Snapecast haha), and despite knowing the ending already it has been so much fun listening to your speculations and theories… also picked up a lot of recs to good fanfics from listening to you all! And I still have another 20 something episodes to go! Kudos to you all for what you’ve done for all us diehard Snape fans!

20. On November 22nd, 2011 Wokanshutaiduo said:

Ooh, I was just listening to your Slughorn section (which I haven’t finished listening to yet, so I hope you don’t end up talking about this after I’ve already posted lol). But you were talking about how its a credit to Severus that he never slipped Lily a love potion – which is soooo true!! – but actually, I was thinking that Severus’ feelings towards Lily seem to be more like someone under a love potion would act – complete, all-consuming infatuation with her, despite all the reasons for him not to. Just an idea…
    And, I think I may have read this sort of fanfic somewhere – where Lily gives Severus a love potion, but she ends up moving on and then just dismisses Severus, and doesn’t think to remove the effects of the potion (I don’t want to think of her as intentionally leaving him that way). In this fic an OFC removes the effects and Severus is at last able to move on and falls in ‘true’ love… and then he dies lol.